Skip to main content

FG commisions N60bn Steel in Shagamu,Ogun State.

According to SUN NEWS, the Federal Government on Thursday commissioned a N60 billion integrated steel mill in Shagamu, Ogun State, as part of productive activities thrown up by the sectorial implementation of the Nigerian Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP).

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, who commissioned the mill built by the Standard Metallurgical Company, said government was committed to repositioning the steel sector to access a substantial share of the global wealth estimated at $10 trillion.
He said with the implementation of the right sectorial policies under the NIRP, the number of functional steel rolling mills in Nigeria has increased to over 21, from less than five a few years ago.
“Before this administration came on board, we had less than five functional steel rolling mills and no cold rolled steel mill, but today there are more than 15 steel rolling mills producing reinforced bars; about three functioning cold rolled steel mills producing cold rolled flat sheets and about three producing or about to commence the production of wire coils. This is a visible evidence that our policies are working,” Aganga said.
According to him, steel is at the heart of any country’s economic development and is one of the most important materials widely used for both domestic and industrial purposes throughout the world, hence the priority given to the sector in the NIRP.
He said, “in addition to accelerating the industrial development of a nation, a vibrant steel sector contributes to the growth of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and exploitation of Nigeria’s abundant natural resources.
“A vibrant steel sector also generates economic activities in downstream industries, creates job opportunities and acquisition of technical skills, helps in the transfer of technology and provision of machine parts and tools. This particular project is being executed with 100 per cent locally-sourced raw materials.”
He noted that the establishment of the Phase I of SMC’s steel mill and the ground breaking of the Phase II of the project would complement the company’s existing investments in the agri-business sub-sector of the economy, pointing out that the mill ranked among the largest private sector investments in Nigeria’s steel sector.
Aganga said, “I am assuring existing investors like SMC and prospective ones of government’s support in the pursuit of self-sufficiency in local steel production. The implementation of game changers in the sector is already opening up a lot of downstream sector activities with the attendant massive job opportunities and economic empowerment for our engineers, technicians, artisans and fabricators alike.
“To date, a number of sectorial policies have been developed under the NIRP. The Sugarcane to Sugar under the National Sugar Master Plan (NSMP) has attracted over $3 billion in investments. The National Automobile Industry Development Plan (NAIDP) has attracted over 22 OEMs including Nissan, Hyundai while Peugeot and Volkswagen have re-commenced operations in Nigeria.
“The National Cotton, Textiles and Garments Policy, which was launched last week has already attracted a number of international, regional and domestic investors. One of such investors is the Vlisco Group, which signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Federal Government to invest across the entire value chain and has since entered into strategic partnerships with a number of domestic investors in the cotton and textile phases of the value chain,” he added.
Also speaking, the Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Musa Sada, reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to creating the enabling environment for the mines and steel sector to thrive.
“The Ministry of Mines and Steel Development is collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure proper development of the sector. I would urge investors to take full advantage of Nigeria’s enabling environment to explore the abundant natural resources in Nigeria for collective gains,” the minister said.
The Managing Director of SMC, Dr. Mohammed Saade, commended the Federal Government for supporting the steel sector, noting that the entire project would aid the Transformation Agenda of the current administration, while boosting growth.
“SMC Steel Rolling Mill has a multi-phased Integrated Iron and Steel Complex with an estimated annual capacity production of two million tonnes of long and flat steel finished products, which is being executed in multi-phases over a 10-year implementation programme. The project is being executed with 100 per cent raw materials from Nigeria,” he said.
Source: SUN NEWS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man confesses to death of Austrian Lover

Do you remember the story I reported on the 27th of december 2014 about a man in Edo who killed his Austrian Lover who came back to Edo state,Nigeria to celebrate the yuletide with her family? If u missed that story, click < HERE >... Right now,the story has taken a different turn as reported by Laila's blog..Here are excerpts to how it happened all told from the horse's mouth,Mr Festus Aimufua... I am 41 years old and a motor spare parts dealer. I did not kill her. It happened on the 25th of December very early in the morning. There is one boy that help me to pack my goods, the boy was with me. After I dropped my family, I now decided to go and drop the boy.  On getting to Upper Mission junction, she called me and asked if I didn’t know that, that day was watch night, and that if I would come to see her. I said I was coming.  Immediately I turned my car and drove down to her shop, she had a bar. On getting there I saw some boys there drinking. I called the ...

yaaay!!! ....Chysugar's blog is 6 months today

Today feels good...I started this blog exactly 6 months ago. On the 4th of October 2014. I wanna celebrate my humble self too... For not giving up.... For the time and efforts... It's Not been easy It's been tasking and challenging... It's been very rough... But today has proven to me that every dream can be a reality if you believe... Special thanks to Butterscotch, Spicy Cynthia, Pamela( a fellow blogger),Amaka,my friend Mari Jali.... All the anonymous blog visitors  My lovely friends and family especially my dad(he visits my blog), my kid brothers who nicknamed me "blogger" lmao... The traffic is amazing....Tears welled up in my eyes this morning when I checked.... Now I know that zero or no comments is not a proof that no one visits. Am humbled,am blessed to have y'all... Is there any change you want the blog?please indicate in the comment box.. Like my facebook page :www.facebook/ch...

The Power Of Concealer (2)

Hope you all enjoyed my 1st post on "Power of concealer"...Well,there are a lot more you can do with"CONCEALER" asides using it to conceal under eye circles. We shall discuss now.Take a good look at the picture above and tell me what you see.I can tell u know picture 9 is your best bet if you follow step 1-8 carefully...you'll end up getting an amazing "well defined eyebrows".. Below are few rules that'll help you achieve picture 9 easier than you can imagine. 1st Rule:You need to grow some eyebrow hairs,your eyebrows  can't be looking all messy with scattered hairs here and there .You need some natural brows.So next time you wana shape your eyebrows,pls kindly remain some brow hairs if you want your brows to have that natural look after your brows are done 2nd Rule: Get a good eyebrow pencil..For me I use Tara eyebrow pencil in brown,its sold for N500...Please stop using red shades of eyebrow pencils for your brows.Its not flattering a...